March 14, 2016

The One About the Fettuccine Stir Sticks

The university that I am currently in right now prides itself for being very eco-friendly and for pioneering a very sustainable environment to its inhabitants. Everything is recyclable and biodegradable and they have this complicated bins for garbage. For that same reason is why all university-managed cafés around campus use fettuccine pasta as stir sticks. At first I thought it was really cute. But now it's just pissing me off.

Not only you would require at least 3 or 4 pieces of these weak ass, hipster-friendly, pathetic excuse of a stir stick, it could barely do its job of actually stirring any form of liquid drink and by the time you give up after using about a dozen of them, you'd begin to wonder whether this shit is actually, you know, sustainafuckingble. World hunger is real and a very present issue, you know?

You see, I'm the type of person who's constantly worried and partially pissed about a lot of different things, like, late buses, people who cuts in line anywhere, prof's lame ass jokes, not passing my classes, being at the lower end of the bell curve, glass-ceiling, social injustice, and fettuccine stir sticks.

Most of the time my mind gets so wrapped up about a lot of small things that I shouldn't be worrying about and I feel bad because I know that in grand scale of things, I'm still blessed as fuck. I have roof above my head, food in my stomach, etc. My worries are insignificant as compared to what others might be going through.

But at the same time, it doesn't mean that I am not entitled to feel that way sometimes, right?

So here comes the dilemma. On one hand, my issues are very superficial as compared to others but on the other hand, yes, they are small things but that doesn't mean that it doesn't affect me, you know?

Quite ironically, there is something that needs to be said about how we as humans have this tendency of invalidating people's opinions and issues about their own well-being by maximizing the sufferings and injustices of the underprivileged in our society.

The problem with this is that, we are perpetuating the already apparent appropriation of those that we perceived as less fortunate than us. This, then, intensifies the dichotomous relationship between us versus them and the ideological machinery that enables others to succeed and perceived the rest as victims and/or authors of their own demise. (Side note: Don't take this part way too seriously because as I read this, I can already think of flaws in this logic. But you get the point).

So, where are we going to stand in this issue?

Do we forget about the small things and never worry about them and just focus our attention on the larger, more significant things? Where do we draw the line between what are the things that can be considered as significant and what are not?


Irony is a dick that fucks you in the ass.

Philip DeFranco, a Youtuber, once stated on his videos that "Perception is reality. If it's 88 degrees outside but if Jack thinks it's 100 degrees, then to him it's 100 degrees. If it's true, then why does your opinion matter? Because you believe it does." Applying this concept to the idea that I am blabbering here, then the point of the matter is that, no matter how big or small this thing you're worried or pissed off about, it's okay to feel that way about it without being guilty as to how insignificant it may be in grand scale of things. Your perception is your reality and no one else can live, perceive, and feel the exact same way as you in the exact same time and the exact same space. It turns out we're all fucking special this way.

Although we also have to be careful because this idea might backfire. I guess the critical thing is to adopt the adage, "Count your blessings." That, and add the idea to not count others' misfortune in the process.

I guess my take out on this is that, I can either be pissed at fettuccine for being a useless piece of a stir stick or be thankful enough that I have something to actually use it for.

I'm sorry about this mess.


Blame the fucking fettuccine stir sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment